Sunday, August 14, 2011

Can I file a claim for money owed by an LLC that filed bankruptcy in 2007?

I worked for a minor league basketball team as a Dance Team instructor. I have a proposal with an email from the owner agreeing to pay me $400 a month for my services. Once the pre-season practices started I agreed to wait until the actual season games began to get paid my stipend. I was paid once and then the owner claimed to fall on hard times with the rest of the ownership team not paying their dues. I agreed to wait until Jan 2008 to be paid, it was July 07 at the time. I have recorded emails that the owner intended to pay the more than $2000 he owed me. Then finally in Jan of 2008 he sent an email saying the LLC had filed bankruptcy and they re-opened under a new name to continue business. He said he couldn't pay me due to the bankruptcy but that I would be recieving something for my 2009 taxes since my funds were part of the details of the filing. Stupid me, I did not research it further and now my accountant is telling me that since I didn't file a claim for the money that I'm out of luck. Anyone had experience with making a claim on a past bankruptcy? Do I have a shot at even just getting a write off on my 09 taxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment