Monday, August 15, 2011

Is a thoroughbred a bad first horse?

Breed means absolutely nothing. Unless you want to do breed specific horse shows (such as AQHA shows or AHA shows) then just ignore the breed completely. Thoroughbreds have a reputation for being hot, spooky, and high strung horses but this is so not true. I mean sure some TBs are but they aren't any more high strung then any other breed. My OTTB is a great example of this. I got him from a trainer that bought him from his racing trainer, he had been off the track for only 5 months, and I hardly knew how to ride. I wouldn't recommend a beginner buying a horse fresh off the track but I was lucky and he has been a wonderful horse for me to learn on. Anyways that horse looks like he would be a great first horse. I don't think the owner would be lying in her ad as it is not at all uncommon to find beginner safe TBs but you should go ride him and if you like him have a vet look at him to see if he is sound just in case. Also someone else said that TBs have bad conformation because "they are bred for speed, not looks" and I would like to point out that this is not at all true. Thoroughbreds ARE bred for good confo because they will not be healthy, sound, and fast with out it.

No comments:

Post a Comment